Forums

39, separated and trying to follow my heart

Page:   1 2

Kat

Joined in 2014
October 16, 2014, 18:54

Hello

This is the second time I have logged on and started to tell my story. I hope I get further this time. I am not very good at talking about myself, but at the same time I really want to tell my story because I think it will help me work things out in my head and I really long to have more people to talk to who understand.

This seems to be such a lonely road!

I have felt for a long time that I think I would be more comfortable being with a woman but I have been in a complicated marriage for nearly 10 years. My husband suffers from some addictions which have caused many problems and heartbreak over the years. I finally found the courage to end the marriage as it was far too painful to continue and not a good environment for my two beautiful children to be raised in any longer. After quite some months he finally moved out and I was finally free and while it was daunting being on my own with my children I felt at last I could be me and focus on my own needs as well as those of my children,

During this time I met a girl through a single mums group and right away we connected and it soon developed to more than friendship. It was a lovely change to what I was used to but I realised that it was not the right relationship/person for me or my children,

I ended the relationship and then in a strange turn of events I decided to give my marriage a second go. My husband had sought help and had made a lot of changes and I thought perhaps we could have the family life I always wanted. Things seemed great for a couple of months but I soon realised my heart was not in the right place and we really do not bring the best out in each other. There is still a lot of hurt and pain from past experiences that is hard to let go of,

I am now in this strange limbo of being married but wishing I wasn't and while we both agree that we are better off as friends, to make any changes right now would be very upsetting to the children and financially, due to job changes, it's not really feasible, I am feeling quite lost and not knowing what to do, I feel so conflicted, I know in my heart what I want and where I would like to be but I don't know how to get there. I feel angry at myself for putting myself back here when I finally got out and could have made a new start for myself and my kids…

I am lucky I suppose, in that I was raised in a Christian family in the Uniting Church, so both my parents and my church are fairly liberal and accepting. I believe that God loves us all regardless and I do not believe that homosexuality is a sin. My family and some of my friends knew that I was in a relationship with a woman and most were very accepting but I do think a lot of people breathed a big sigh of relief when I got back with my husband and figured I just had a funny fling or some such thing. I have only revealed to one friend that I feel I would prefer being with a woman over a man and only a handful of people know that my marriage second time around is not working out and that we are only living as friends.

I am so grateful that I have found this site and that there are so many other people on here going through different but perhaps a little similar things.

I really wish to be able to trust my life more to God and not to make all these big decisions on my own and to learn how to be the person I believe God made me to be.

Thank you for listening to my story

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
October 16, 2014, 19:40

Hi Kat,

Welcome to freedom2b 🙂

Thank you for sharing your story with us and entrusting some very brave and honest parts of your journey. There are parts of your story I can really relate to having experienced some of what you have shared. The coming out journey is not always so straight forward or smooth. it's not just our own journey but also one for our children, possible spouses, parents and family and friends. It is important to remember it is a journey and takes time so be kind to yourself! You have definitely found an amazing community and we will do all we can to support you and offer help where we can 🙂

Warm regards

Michelle

Kat

Joined in 2014
October 16, 2014, 20:30

Thank you Michelle for your kind words, I appreciate them a lot

joy

Joined in 2013
October 19, 2014, 00:34

As I read your story, I found myself thinking 'what a lonely place to be in', and then looked back and saw that you had written that at the top of your story. And whilst all of us have to walk our own journeys, and life is far from simple, it is so necessary for us to reach out to each other. Well done on being brave in posting your story. The more I interact with this incredible community, the more I am discovering, that whilst our stories may all be different, the themes are the same, and that is what enables us to connect with each other.

I hope you can find connection with this community and support and the strength to keep doing to tough stuff – life.

Kat

Joined in 2014
October 19, 2014, 11:20

Thank you Joy,

I think that is the hardest thing sometimes, not having people to share with and finding people who understand. I do have some wonderful friends who I'm sure will support me but I don't think they would understand all that I am feeling and how to make sense of things.

I have spent so many years not talking or sharing how things really are (especially at home) and pretending all is well when it has been far from well that this is new for me! Now I want to talk (need to) and I don't know who to talk to!

Thank you for being here and for listening 🙂

joy

Joined in 2013
October 19, 2014, 12:13

Not talking about these kinds of deep discontents and, sometimes not even being aware of them, is often the result of the de-selfing that happens to us as mothers and wives. We get lost – and to rediscover ourselves can be quite a journey within itself. There may be times when you feel so lost that you have no idea who you are….but then, hopefully you will catch glimpses of an incredible person and you will like what you see.

Kat

Joined in 2014
October 28, 2014, 18:37

I think that is so true Joy and I really do think I lost myself for many years there especially while my children were very little and I was struggling a lot with all that was going on.

I hope I can begin to see more glimpses of myself and to discover or be free to acknowledge who I really am. I do think (hope) that God has more plans for me for the future and that I will be bold enough to embrace them.

Do you know if there are any (closed) groups, perhaps Facebook groups where people chat and can share things on a regular basis?

I feel like I need some more people in my circle who I can share things with who will understand so I'm not just bothering the same couple of people who know what I am going through…

Thank you

miss.muppet

Joined in 2011
November 2, 2014, 16:25

You can talk with me!

miss.muppet

Joined in 2011
November 2, 2014, 16:26

I'd really appreciate the company

miss.muppet

Joined in 2011
November 2, 2014, 16:27

Are u going to a church right now?

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.