Forums

is this way of thinking wrong?

Page:   1 2

joshua thomas

Joined in 2011
August 11, 2012, 15:31

SO…hmm where i grew up there is not so many churches and every single one has the same view on gay people which is very harsh/hateful, let alone what they say to "gay Christians".

i came to know god at age 16 and from that point i was told only way to have a strong relationship or any form of relationship with god at all was too remove my "gayness" and for a while i was so confused about god and what or how i should be or think in relation to my relationship with god.

now i would say im more stable with my belief in god BUT i still have these lingering thoughts that i could be wrong and its not ok to be gay by gods standards and this leads me to pray and ask gods forgiveness for my sin of being gay just encase i am wrong and do not wish it to affect my relationship with god.

SO FINALLY here is my question, is it wrong or somewhat harmful to my emotional self to keep questioning whether or not it truly is ok? its not the fact that people are telling me its wrong anymore its come to the idea i just what to be closer to god and dont want anything to hinder my relationship with god because i wish to grow.

thanks for listening.

joshua.t

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 11, 2012, 15:47

Hi Joshua.t

Thanks for posting and welcome to f2b! 🙂

Your questions are completely normal and probably all of us here have at one stage or another wondered about this too. In answer to your question, I don't think it's harmful to your emotional health or relationship with God to question things. I actually think that asking questions is healthy and how we grow even though it can feel uncomfortable at times.. Just know too that there are many here who have successfully reconciled their sexualities with their spiritual beliefs and are closer to God than ever before. So the two areas do not have to be mutually exclusive. You can be gay and Christian.

Have a read of some of the stories here as well as some articles in the support section. These will give you some positive examples of people like you coming through some difficult questioning into peace, self acceptance and more of who they were created to be.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 14:13

Hey Joshua,

Let's put it this way, It's not the most healthy way of thinking. What should help you is seeing how God moves in the lives of gay Christians. The Bible says you'll know a thing by it's fruit. No good tree will produce bad fruit and this "tree" of people reconciling their faith with their sexuality has only brought peace, freedom, and people to God in a big way. I really see the face of my Saviour in people who identify with being gay and Christian, and that makes me feel deep in my heart I'm in the right place.

wednesdays

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 15:52

Hey Joshua

Thanks for your post. I’m in a bit of a similar situation. In my case, I’ve read the arguments of those who believe it’s sinful and those who don’t, and I’ve decided that I’m just not qualified to decide who is right and who’s wrong. Where there’s a logical error, I can see it, but I’m not trained in theology or ancient languages or even ancient history so I really can’t assess who is right, to my own satisfaction. I stopped trying to figure it out several years ago, and just trusted that if I was doing something wrong, God would give me a sense of that, that he would show me.

Suffice to say, he hasn’t shown me yet that I’m wrong, but every now and then I have doubts and wonder whether everyone else is right and I’m just shutting out God’s voice on this issue because I don’t want to hear what he’s saying. Recently though, I was praying about that and I remembered when I first began investigating Christianity again after many years away, and I was doubting whether God was even real, I prayed that if he was real, he would give me a deep sense of knowing that… and he did, that’s the one thing I know now with absolute certainty. So after remembering that, I basically said, ‘God if it’s true that you’re ok with who I am and you don’t want me to be straight, I need you to give me that same strong sense deep within, so I can stop questioning and doubting it… and please forgive me for being dense and doubting your acceptance to the extent that I have.”

That was just a few weeks ago so it’s too early for me to report back on it yet 🙂 But when I read your post, I thought maybe you could do something similar. I don’t think God minds our questions; they show that we honestly want to be close to him and please him. But also I think that if they’re not helpful then he wants to answer them in such a way that we can stop questioning and get on with other things 🙂

fau

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 17:33

Hi Josh,

Thanks for posting and sharing. I might not suggest anything – but just offer my response to what you wrote: Keep talking to God, keep asking… keep the lines of communication open while you are experiencing doubts. I believe that gayness is part of the divine creation of the Almighty whereas the hatred towards gays so often evident in many congregations is from the sinfulness of human beings. Keep talking to God and invite God to be a confidante in all your experiences – including those times when you haveyour doubts… God always reveals him (or her)self in time.

Kind regards,

Finn

Abe

Joined in 2011
August 12, 2012, 19:58

Hi Josh

I think it is not what other people says, it is between you and God. Faith is a matter between God and yourself, not what other people dictate it to be. But personally I don't think it is wrong to be gay and christian. Sexual orientation is what you are born with, much like your skin colour or race. Like Anthony Venn Brown said, morality is a choice but sexual orientation isn't. I wish you well in your search.

Abe

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
August 12, 2012, 20:27

Josuha – G'day! My Christian upbringing was in evangelical circles where the possibility of a person even being gay was not accepted and biblical verses ("the clobber verses") were used to justify that. Other (non-evangelical) churches I was exposed to largely took a similar line at that stage. I wasn't really exposed to any 'hate preaching' – just occasional references from pulpits and in magazine articles which, well … disagreed that one could be gay and Christian. Of course. most Christians just accept what they are taught or read – especially if coming from some respected &/or learned source.

But, now I have discovered that other Christians – including a small but growing number of pastors and theologians from evangelical circles – are realizing that there are alternate understandings of those traditional interpretations of the relevant biblical passages.

Science has now accepted that a same-sex orientation is an integral part of a small precentage of human beings. (Remember, that other points-of-view supported by biblical interpretation &/or church pronouncement have subsequently been debunked – "the earth is flat", "slavery is acceptable", "mixed-race marriage is forbidden", "being left-handed is of the devil", "discrimination by race is acceptable", etc.)

The possibility of change from gay to straight via 'reparative therapy' is now largely agreed to NOT work. (Even leaders of Christian ex-gay movements are accepting that.)

For learned people (pastors, theological professors, etc) to "swallow their pride" and admit that their traditional interpretation on matters "gay" are wrong (or just might be open to question) is a big ask. So, they just go on pushing a line which they have always followed, and their 'sheep' follow them. Usually, it is not until an immediate family member (sibling, son/daughter) or very close friend 'comes out' that they start to question what they have traditionally believed.

We (as gay Christians) have come from a position of having received the traditional anti-gay teaching, but also have come to a position of accepting the reality of our same-sex attraction. That the two didn't seem to match up sent us on a search. For some of us, that has been a painful search and continues.

But, the discovery that the Bible can be interpreted differently is not simply an exercise in self-justification, nor one of self-delusion. Rather it is a revelation from God that we are OK in his sight. That other well-meaning and sincere, but non-gay Christians can not understand this and are ignorant (or choose to remain so) is their problem – not ours. The occasional "whispers in our head" that we may be wrong don't come from God. Most straight Christians will admit to having had (or still having) occasional "whispers in the head" too – perhaps questioning their faith, their relationship with God, the reality of their salvation, etc. We are taught to reject such 'whispers' for what they are. Applies just as well for us gay Christians.

Them's my thoughts on the matter. Stay strong. God bless.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
August 12, 2012, 20:30

Hey Joshua

For what its worth – I dont think its wrong.

Its actually quite natural. When you are younger – you are not so confident about who and what you are. As people get older. they often develop self confidence. In my 20's I didnt dare think I was Gay. Now in my 40s I KNOW ABSOLUTELY 100% I was born that qay and that God made me that way – that its not a choice and that no once who is not Gay can understand what it feels like to be Gay ( I mean this in the same way I cant understand smell the way a Dog understands smell – by the way – Im not saying heterosexualpeople cant be supportive and understanding )

Its a good thing you question

I would suggest you take your time reading other discussion threads. There are many that explain why its OK to be Gay ….

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/so-you-still-think-homosexuality-is-sinful-t1999/

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/why-you-can039t-judge-someone-as-homosexual-t1994/

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/resources-from-brisbane-chapter-meeting-what-does-the-bible-actually-say-about-homosexuality-t1934/

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/what-does-the-bible-actually-say-about-homosexuality-t550/

As for me – I look at it a bit differently but I look at what the things the bible spends its time on – the commands that are given and the number if times they are given…. many of the loudest voices – focus on things that are barely mentioned in the bible – but if you sit down and count the comands that are given many times in the bible- in many places – in many different places – and if you are careful NOT to put your own interpretation into them then you can see what the bible ( and therefore God REALLY think is important)

So for example – Ill give some examples – of this …. Look through the bible at how often the bible condemns those who dont look after the poor, the hungry and the sick.

In Ezekiel 16 – we read "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

In Matther 25 we read 41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

and in Mark 10 we read 21Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. (and this is mentioned again in Mathew 19)

So I think if God thinks something is SO important that he destroyed a city because they didnt do it and Jesus thought something was SO important – he mentions it a number of times (and God makes sure its reported on in the Gospels multiple times so theres NO chance we can miss it) dont you think thats MORE important than something Jesus never mentions at all.

I do….

So Suggest you look at the things that are mentioned many many times – like dont judge ((jesus not only says that – but in order to make sure hes understood – he says that in MULTIPLE WAYS to make sure we have no excuse for misunderstanding him)

So Jesus says

1“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

and then to be really clear – to make sure someone says – OH – well thats OK – I can judge – because I will just be judged the same way – he makes it clear what he is saying is DO NOT JUDGE AT ALL.

3“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

So why would Jesus say something twice if it wasnt important for us ? And why would he not mention homosexuality if it WAS important

So then – lets talk about not assuming about what is meant. People often make assumptions about what is meant when they read about things like immorality. Or "sexual immorality"

They immediately assume that means anything they think is wrong.

But does it ?

Rachel of the old testatement is an HONOURED character of the old testament and she is listed as an ancestor of Jesus. She was a prostitute.

So We have a case where a prostitute can be honoured. Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived and he didnt outlaw prostitution. He let it be…. and Lets not forget Tamar – who acts as a roadside shrine prostitute to be inpregnated by a man she isnt married by (Judah – her deceased husbands Father) . When he finds out what she has done – Judah declears she is MORE RIGHTOUS than he is and the bible honours her memory in two ways – she has 2 sons and she is also mentioned as an ancestor of Jesus.

So there are plenty of other cases by my point here is people often just take a word like immorality and use it to mean anything they want it to – but that is absolutely wrong. To say homosexuality is immoral is no longer supported by secular scholars.

For example

We know for example that Arsenokoites is only found used 77 times in ancient manuscripts overall – and 1 Cor 6:9 is the FIRST TIME we have seen the word used and John the Faster in Penitential which is dated to about AD 575 DEFINATELY uses the word to refer to a man sleeping with his wife "In fact, many men even commit the sin of arsenokoitia with their wives.” So while we DONT really KNOW exactly what that sin is – we DO know that its NOT homosexuality – because its HARD to commit homosexuality when you have 1 man and 1 woman.

BUT its OK to question these things – thats a good thing…

In fact – the thing is – its the people telling you that its a Sin who are totally refusing to question their beliefs – and that is always a warning sign.

The church was adamant the world was flat because daniel referred to the 4 corners of the earth. The Church supported slavery, it opposed women voting and it those who hung on the longest were those who refused to question their beliefs. So its a great thing you question….

Theres an old TV show – my favourite martian – and line from it ive never forgotton.

A mind is like a parachute. A closed one doesnt function well

Hope that helps a bit

joshua thomas

Joined in 2011
August 12, 2012, 20:49

THANK YOU ALL =D

Amila

Joined in 2012
August 14, 2012, 02:32

Hey Josh,

I think many of us find ourselves in the place that you are in and I really dont think that we would ever stop doubting unless Jesus Himself came and told us so since there are so many different interpretations of the different passages in the bible that suggest that homosexuality is right or wrong..

What I would suggest is to keep walking your normal christian walk of faith and also keep talking to God about it ask Him to help you out… and continue reading the different views. God will guide you into what He wants you to do in your life…. Keep relying on the Holy Spirit to guide your every step….

Be strong…

God bless you

Amila

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.