Forums

My journey to Freedom (2b)

Page:   1 2

joy

Joined in 2013
March 6, 2013, 23:47

I have felt a desire to write something on this site for some time, but have been at a loss as to what to say. The first few times that I went to f2b I had an overwhelming desire to stand up and come out to everyone with ‘I’m straight’; as though I had no right to be there, as though I were enjoying the fun and friendships on some kind of false merit. I am straight, but my sexuality is not an issue at f2b. I’m not trying to sound smug. I genuinely mean this. The love and acceptance that I have found at f2b, and the friendships that have developed since then, are so precious. I began attending f2b after witnessing the brutality of fundamentalist beliefs gone wrong, against people I loved. People who no longer felt safe to be in that space, and as a result, I also, no longer felt safe to be in that space.

So I now attend f2b. I try to explain with failing words to others why I am there and I get thanked for my support. I’ve experienced tears from others as they’ve expressed their gratitude to me for supporting them (I’m a little teary now just recalling this). This is just so wrong. The people at f2b take care of me! Those who attend have welcomed me! Why are they thanking me? Why am I being thanked for my friendship, when I am the one who has been welcomed into this community? There is something wrong with this. I am awkwardly humbled and sorrowful that support, friendship and acceptance from a straight Christian is regarded as such a rarity.

So, I say Thank you.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 7, 2013, 11:22

Hi Joy,

Welcome 🙂 as a straight support myself I can appreciate what you are saying. This is an awesome community, they are very accepting and welcoming to everyone regardless of who you are. I have not seen this type of acceptance any where. Like you I have been thanked and moved my the warm generosity of the F2B people. We have been to several Sydney F2B meetings, marched along side them in last years Mardi Gras with our son, and felt warmly welcomed every time. We live in Brisbane and have been to several F2B meetings offering our support to the group and our son. They are an amazing group of people who greet us with a big grin and often a hug. Some little cheeky chops even call me mum 🙂

We need more straight supporters like you and the many others on this site. The F2B community is very grateful for our support and it touches my heart greatly. I guess one way to look at it, is it encourages us to keep giving our support and welcomes other's who may also like to offer their support. I guess it's easy to feel a bit like a duck out of water at the meetings and at the forum, like we don't quiet fit in but I know myself F2B has welcomed myself and my husband literally with open arms, they have made us feel a little bit part of their F2B family.

God bless and thank you 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 7, 2013, 22:23

Hi Joy

That's so great that you have felt moved to stand with the LGBTI community against church abuse. It's wonderful because not everyone recognises this issue of homophobia for what it is and the damage it causes. So I will always want to celebrate and be grateful for anyone like yourself and Mother Hen who take a stand against injustice, especially when it doesn't directly involve you. Not everyone has that kind of compassion or call to action. I also love your involvement because it speaks of our connection as humans. It speaks of unity. We are all one but we forget that sometimes. So when one person hurts, we are all affected even if we don't realise it. Your support of our community reminds me of that and moves me. Unity is such a healing and miraculous thing. And we need more of it. 🙂

Great blessings to you and to all our straight supporters,

Ann Maree

joy

Joined in 2013
March 8, 2013, 20:48

Thank you for your encouragement. I wish there was more I could do.

smith

Joined in 2006
March 9, 2013, 18:12

Hi Joy

You don't have to apologise for attending Freedom 2b as a straight supporter – you are not alone – its a wonderful community and I have made many friends a well and even bumped into some old acquaintances sometimes I feel embarrassed about how welcoming the community has been considering how unwecolming most fundamentalist churches have been to the gay and lesbian community .

I actually ended up at my first Freedom 2be meeting by accident – I knew Tony Venn Brown a lttle as he was then called and after I read his book I thought the topic that night might be of interest – I turned up because at the time I was thinking of two friends who carried out a secret affair and how that affected our friendship . Up to that time I had never had any gay friends or relatives and I wondered whether I could have handled the situation dfferently .

Anyway half way through the meeting I had one of those bombshell moments and it was then I realised that one of my siblings was gay . I honestly had no idea . Supporting Freedom 2b is my way of supporting my friends and hopefully making a difference . And when I talk to people that i grew up with in the Pentecostal community I can really see the change (after leaving the church over 20 years ago) . So enjoy being involved ,

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
March 10, 2013, 20:47

Welcome 🙂

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
March 18, 2013, 21:43

Hugs from me to you :'(

joy

Joined in 2013
April 4, 2013, 01:36

The heart ache of the LGBTI community was something that a close friend warned me about.

I'd already witnessed some of it when I saw rejection by 'my' church and heard the stories of many others.

But now I sit in heart ache and sorrow over the loss of my friend.

I have nothing else to say.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 9, 2013, 23:35

i how lovely that you have found our space….and that you feel welcome and that you put this up here…..all very special

joy

Joined in 2013
April 11, 2013, 20:08

Thank you everyone for your lovely encouragement, feed back and kind words.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.05 seconds.