Faith & Religion
At freedom2b, we don’t believe there is a conflict between Christianity and sexual orientation. However, LGBTI people of faith can have great difficulty in not only accepting themselves, but also finding places where they are accepted by others who share their faith. We hope the resources below will be of some assistance.
Biblical Perspectives • Organisations & Networks • Welcoming Churches
The following list contains articles and papers written by various clergy and scholars. For a quick overview of the relevant passages in the Bible, and links to other online gay Christian sites, please check out the clobber passages page.
- Being Gay, Being Christian – beinggaybeingchristian.com
Dr Stuart Edser, an Australian psychologist with experience in Christian training and ministry, carefully explains his journey of reconciling his faith and sexuality. (Paperback or e-book available.)
- What The Bible Says – And Doesn’t Say – About Homosexuality
A 24-page booklet written by Rev Dr Mel White that offers a biblical response to the question often asked: “How can you consider yourself a Christian when you are also gay?”
- Beyond Stereotypes: Christians and Homosexuality – jmm.aaa.net.au
Some notes from Rev Dr Rowland Croucher, originally written for the Evangelical Alliance Working Group on Human Sexuality.
- A Consistent Bibical Approach to Sexuality – jmm.aaa.net.au
An article by Dr Keith Dyer, Professor of New Testament, Whitley College, University of Melbourne.
- A Pastoral Response to Homosexuality in the Church
A paper by Rev Matt Glover, previously from Lilydale Baptist Church in Victoria.
- A Letter to Louise – godmademegay.com
A letter from Pastor Bruce W. Lowe, which he later published, on his findings on Christianity and Homosexuality.
- Christianity and Homosexuality Reconciled – dr-joseph-adam-pearson.com
A full book available for download as a PDF from the author, Dr Joseph Adam Pearson. “New Thinking for a New Millenium”.
- The Bible, Christianity & Homosexuality – truthsetsfree.net
A concise analysis of Bible verses and interpretations by Rev Justin R Cannon, Inclusive Orthodoxy.
Organisations & Networks
Around the world, many groups have been set up to support LGBTI people in various denominations. Here are the ones we know of in Australia.
- Acceptance Sydney (Catholic)
Acceptance is a welcoming ministry of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, their family and friends affirming their dignity and Catholic faith.
- Changing Attitude Australia (Anglican)
Promoting Full Inclusion of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex People in the Life of the Anglican Church.
- Gay Christian Network (Non-denominational)
The Gay Christian Network is a nonprofit ministry serving Christians who happen to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, and those who care about them. Though based in the US it has an active Australian community.
- SDA Kinship (Seventh-Day Adventist)
SDA Kinship facilitates and promotes the understanding and affirmation of LGBTI Adventists among themselves and within the Seventh-day Adventist community worldwide. They have an active Australian arm.
- Uniting Network Australia (Uniting)
Uniting Network Australia is the national network for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people, their families, friends and supporters within the Uniting Church in Australia.
Over at Gaychurch.org you can find the world’s largest directory of LGBTI-affirming churches. Here are some Australian picks:
- NSW: Metropolitan Community Church – Petersham, Sydney
- NSW: Metropolitan Community Church of the Good Shepherd – Parramatta, Sydney
- NSW: Crave MCC – Paddington, Sydney
- NSW: Pitt St Uniting Church – Sydney
- NSW: The Open Door Community of Christ – Penrith, Sydney
- NSW: Imagine Darlinghurst – Darlinghurst, Sydney
- NSW: St James Anglican – Sydney
- NSW: Nambucca Heads Uniting Church – Mid North Coast
- NSW: New Covenant Church – Alexandria, Sydney
- QLD: Metropolitan Community Church – South Brisbane
- SA: Blackwood Uniting Church – Blackwood, Adelaide
- VIC: Metropolitan Community Church – Richmond, Melbourne
- VIC: South Yarra Baptist – South Yarra, Melbourne
- VIC: Collins St Baptist Church – Melbourne
- VIC: Ashburton Baptist Church – Ashburton, Melbourne
- VIC: St Martin’s Community Church – Collingwood, Melbourne
- VIC: St Kilda Baptist Church – St Kilda, Melbourne
- WA: Open Arms Fellowship Australia – Perth
- WA: St Mary’s – South Perth
- WA: Christ Church – Claremont
- WA: Hills Anglicans – Darlington -Bellevue
- WA: Grace Anglican Church – Joonadup
- WA: St Mary’s – South Perth
- WA: Church of the Resurrection – Swanbourne – Mt. Claremont
- The Quakers – National
- The Unitarians – National